Saturday, November 13, 2010

A Tradition of Baking

Welcome to UMMOYER'S BAKESHOP!

I love to bake! It's a form of therapy so to speak! I love to create something that is as pretty as it tastes good. The kitchen is my design studio, my sketch pad, my laboratory. Baking is as much of an individual activity as it is a fun group activity.

Ready, set, start that mixer.

I come form a a long line of family bakers. With French and Belgium blood running through my veins, I've learned from the best! My maternal grandmother (aka Omie for those that know her) and my mother (aka Carolyn) are true masters in the kitchen. They certainly know their way around a pastry bag and sugar flower. I'm still learning, but loving every masterpiece and disaster along the way.  

The best piece of advice I've ever received is to BAKE FROM SCRATCH. Now, I know what you're saying. It's more ingredients, it's more money, it's more hassle...and for what? Trust me, the pay off is in the taste. It may be subtle, but subtle is what makes the "best" stand out from the "good." Plus, with everyone choosing alternative eating choices - Vegetarian, Vegan - baking from scratch allows you to find healthy alternatives to the traditional ingredients. Now with that said, I'm a believer that some recipes should just not be messed with. Sometimes the butter and the sugar really do make the difference.

Now that I have this snazzy (ok, perhaps ordinary) blog, I figure we can start a conversation. We (me and YOU...whoever YOU might be. And BTW, I'm so glad YOU decided to read this blog!) can share baking tips, recipes and stories. To me, the story behind why you're baking something or where you got the recipe is as important as the final product. So, I'll be sharing the stories behind every little thing that I make. From my Kahlua & Vodka bundt cake (ok, maybe not the whole story) to birthday cakes to celebration cupcakes, I'll give you the specifics - the who, what, where...you get it. Themes, color choices and flavors all add up to the 'baking experience.'

Now, let's go make a masterpiece!

No comments:

Post a Comment