Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Sweet Relationship

My longest and dearest bestie, Jo, is also an avid baker! Our relationship turns extra sweet when we need the others honest opinion on a new recipe – the perfect relationship if you ask me. And when I had Jo and my cousin Katie over for dinner last night, I was happy to offer my opinion on her dessert.

Side note: Have I mentioned how much I love throwing a dinner party? Casual or fancy, small or large, it doesn’t matter. It’s always fun to cook, drink a little vino and chat with your girls (guys are invited every now and again, obviously)! Love it.

A few weekends ago Jo and I stumbled upon a terrific sale at Sur la Table in Pasadena. I LOVE that store, but everything is usually pretty pricey. But luckily they were having a huge post holiday sale and we indulged. We made a straight shot for the baking section to see what, if anything was on clearance. BINGO! Cupcake boxes and holders were half-priced! Ok, so a $6 set of cupcake gift boxes isn’t terrible at regular price, but it’s SO much better when you can get them for $2.99. Jo and I stocked up on matching boxes and holders. They are perfect to bring to a friend’s house, to give to someone at work, or as a gift!

Since I was cooking dinner, I had asked Jo to bring dessert; I knew she wouldn’t mind. Plus we had to try out the new cupcakes holders and boxes! And she knocked it out of the park! She tested a new recipe:

Chocolate Chip Banana Cupcakes with a Peanut Butter and Honey Frosting and Strawberry Jam piped into the center.

YES… you read that correctly! And if you’re mouth isn’t already watering, then you clearly need your taste buds checked. They were amazing!!! The cupcake was dense, almost like a banana loaf and the honey really balanced the frosting so the peanut butter wasn’t overwhelming. And then the delightful surprise of strawberry jam in the center was the cherry on top (so to speak). Jo and I made Katie take all the leftovers home because neither of us wanted to be responsible for eating them… or carry the guilt/extra pounds around.

Jo and I now have a new mission: GET ON CUPCAKE WARS

Here are a few pics of the final product (PS - aren't those boxes adorable!?!):

















No comments:

Post a Comment